Tuesday, September 4, 2007

THE PORT

I really want to address the port thing for those who may stumble on my blog while searching for information about Lymphoma. It was the biggest surprise to me of all of my procedures with the exception of the scar across my throat from my second biopsy.

The port, I thought was just an advance line for an IV. Something they put into my arm in a matter of minutes. My port was not that way. It was a titatinum, nickel sized plug with lines coming out it. The plug is where the needle goes when you have treatment or for drawing blood so that they don't have to "find" your veins. The lines run through my veins to dump out into my heart area....I'm not a doctor, so I'm not sure I've got the details exactly right...but this thing is inside my arm and runs to my heart. I just wish I had been prepared for that type of procedure when I went into the hospital.

Fortunately, I had a pleasant conversation with the surgeon while he placed it though I kept my eyese closed. Most impotantly, it was totally worth it!!!!! The day they inserted the port it took 4 tries to find a vein that would work. I could not bear the idea of facing 6 treatment days of "vein finding". The port gives the nurses direct access and with a little lidocaine...I don't even feel the needle! It rocks!!!!!

No comments: