Friday, September 21, 2007

The Loran Smith Cancer Center

It is important to note that in addition to the overwhelming support of friends and family, I have had the benefit of community resources. The Loran Smith Cancer Center gave me a place to talk to someone about how to talk to a 3 year old about cancer. Lauren was great! She made me feel good about the choice to tell Walker that I had a ball in my chest which is a very silly thing to have in your chest. She really helped me to understand that children are egocentric and just want to know how their world is going to change. This was a huge piece of advice in being proactive about my hair loss, doctor visits, change in caregivers and change in mood.

Also, the Loran Smith Cancer Center offers a Look Good Feel Better program where they teach women to put on make up (something I need pre-cancer :) ), how to draw on brows and eyelashes if/when they fall out, how to wear wigs and other hair accessories. Most importantly it was a great place to spend time with brave women battling varying types and stages of cancer. Many caregivers were also in attendance and seemed to benefit from sharing their stories too.

This is a resource used by folks as far as Atlanta. Athens is truly lucky to have such a special place of healing.

No comments: