Thursday, December 20, 2007

Just Get It DONE!

OK, so patience isn't one of my strengths. Unfortunately, I will have to work on that character building as we take the long path toward getting to the other side of cancer.

We went to Nebraska for the second time and got the news that my PET was not only positive but the uptake was higher (8.9). Fortunately, Dr. Armitage is determined to cure me and I am lucky that my cancer is one that can even be cured.

So let's just get this thing done:

I've already done round one of R-ICE treatment at Emory. This is a 4 day chemo treatment that requires admittance to the hospital. Around 1/3/08 I will do round two of R-ICE at Emory and then have a PET two weeks after the first day of the second treatment (approx. 1/17/08).

If the PET is clean and I am in remission, I will go to Nebraska for stem cell transplant. If not, then round three of R-ICE and another PET. If still not clean, then some radiation and on with stem cell transplant.

Stem cell transplant:

This is what I think I know, but I have not watched the video yet. I think they take out my stem cells (basically my immune system), then I get a huge dose of chemo...R-CHOP again....then they put the stem cells back. It takes 6 weeks minimum and I will be in Nebraska for this procedure.

After the transplant, I will come home for a month to 6 weeks. Then I return to Nebraska for radiation over about 4-5 weeks.

Finally, I should be DONE!!!!

So, again, it is a much longer road than I thought I signed up for (did I really sign up for this???), but there is still hope and a plan for the intended outcome. Speaking of outcomes, I have not asked for a prognosis b/c I do not want to know the odds at this point. I am staying on the step I'm on (great advice from Steve) and staying positive thanks to all of you great friends and family!!!!

4 comments:

Mickey said...

We will be with you every step of the way...your spirit keeps us going. Tell Walk-Man that Santa will be good to him!

Anonymous said...

I second Mickey's comments and want you and your family to know that we are all just a call away for ANYTHING. I hope you have the best christmas ever. I will be here when you need me.

Merry Christmas,
DRee

Kathy Bangle said...

Thanks for the updates! You stay in our prayers and we are behind you all the way. Please feel free to call on us at any point.

I love you!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Had to let you know that I'm going to be grimacing with you tomorrow 1/3/08 while you start the new chemical journey. You are the best and remember how much we rely on that lurking Laurel consciousness telling us, "Now, is that really the smart way to handle that?" (Fine Laurel, I'll just buy more Coke stock instead and put off buying that HDTV.)